Friday, August 22, 2008

I Gotta Catch The Beat...

I am a beat junkie. When it comes to music especially Hip Hop, I find myself falling in love with a song just based on the rhythm and beat without even knowing the lyrics. This of course is why Music Producers get paid to do what they do best; however, the “hot beat” often times masks the insanity that some rappers these days rap about. I’m disillusioned into liking these songs. I find myself dancing to them, exercising to them, perhaps even downloading them before I even realize that they are talking about and then say to myself, “no they didn’t just say that!” Later I find myself sulking down in my chair as I read on the internet that Cornel West or Jeff Johnson has called a boycott due to the exploitation in a song that I was just bobbin my head to in the car, if I only knew the words maybe I would be outraged too. I’m often times disgusted with the guy on the street that calls me “lil boo” and says he wants to “pop a rubber band” on me not realizing that those words were from the very same song I was jam’n to in my car earlier. R&B usually has lyrics of substance to console a broken heart, reunite lovers or express woes of love sick individuals but even R&B beats can be so enticing alone. Just look at what we’ve let R. Kelly get away with for years; singing about being jungle animals and getting his hair braided, Really Kells? So it brings up the question of whether or not the Producers are what’s “hot” and not the artist? Could they be music’s secret weapon? Just think about it, even the artist with longevity has turned to new producers to revamp their careers. I love music and will always listen so producers keep doing what you do, but to the Writers and Artist, can I get a song that I won’t be ashamed to know the lyrics to?